The City of Port Republic, by Ordinance, has established a combined Planning and Zoning Board of Adjustment. The Board’s decisions are governed by The Land Use and Development Ordinance and a Master Plan has been adopted. The Board has power to grant variances after hearing testimony from applicants for development or use changes and can decide whether or not to grant approval or disapproval.
The Planning Board consists of the Mayor, an elected official of City Council and an Official of the City. There are six Board members who are appointed by the Mayor and who serve four year terms. There can be up to two alternates also appointed by the Mayor who serve two year terms.
Planning Board Members
Gary Giberson, Mayor
Kevin Cain, Building Official
Donna Riegel, Council Representative
According to “Planning and Zoning in New Jersey”, Planning Boards are necessary because governments must plan not just for today, but for the future. Planning is required by law and also can involve the local citizens in obtaining the type of community they want.
The first step is to contact the Port Republic Building Office (609-652-8759) and request a permit for construction or for your particular use. That office will inform you of the site requirements, if you need to apply to the Planning Board, and exactly what to request in the application.
Applicants seeking a variance or approval are recommended to first seek the advice of a lawyer, architect and/or professional planner licensed in the state of New Jersey.
The Planning Board Application is a step-by step process that needs to be followed explicitly and the same application form is used for all matters. Instructions are clearly outlined for the particular application needed.
The process is:
- Either download or request an Planning Board Application from the Board Secretary.
- Sixteen copies of the completed application, plans, and appropriate attachments are submitted to the Secretary along with applicable fees and escrows (fees and escrows are to be submitted in two separate checks.)
- The applicant should contact the Board Secretary to obtain a hearing date.
- Packets containing a copy of the completed application and all attachments are mailed to the Board Members, the Engineer and the Solicitor at least 10 days before the hearing.
- A certification of current taxes needs to be obtained from the Tax Collector.
- A list of properties within 200 feet needs to be obtained from the Tax Assessor (fee $10). The applicant is required to notify all property owners within 200 feet of the property in question at least 10 days prior to the hearing by either certified mail or by hand delivering the notice and obtaining the resident’s signatures.
Once the above is complete, the applicant submits an Affidavit of Service to the Board Secretary as proof that the application is complete no later than the start of the hearing.
An advertisement notifying the public must be placed in The Press of Atlantic City a minimum of 10 days before the hearing. Verification must be submitted no later than the start of the hearing.
The next step is the hearing. If approved, the Solicitor has 45 days to prepare the Resolution of Decision and the applicant must publish notice of approval.
Questions should be directed to the Secretary of the Board:
Vicki Cantell, Secretary
City of Port Republic
Port Republic City Hall
143 Main Street
Port Republic, NJ 08241
Fax (609) 652-8270