Atlantic City Electric Warns Customers of Phone Scammers
Beware of On-going Phone Scams: Scammers continue to target Atlantic City Electric customers by falsely claiming they represent our company. Many demand immediate electronic payments to avoid shut-off. Please share the following tips with your residents and constituents:
Red flags for scam activity
• The thief becomes angry and tells the customer his or her account is past due and service will be disconnected if a large payment isn’t made – usually within less than an hour.
• The thief instructs the customer to purchase a pre-paid debit or credit card – widely available at retail stores – then call him or her back to supposedly make a payment.
• The scammer asks the customer for the prepaid card’s receipt number and PIN number, which grants instant access to the card’s funds.
How to protect customers
• Utility representatives will never ask or require a customer with a delinquent account to purchase a prepaid debit card to avoid disconnection.
• Customers can make payments online, by phone, automatic bank draft, mail or in person.
• Customers with delinquent accounts receive an advance disconnection notification with the regular monthly billing – never a single notification one hour before disconnection.
• If you suspect someone is trying to scam you, hang up and call the local police then Atlantic City Electric at 1-800-642-3780. Never dial the phone number the scammers provide.
Don’t Get Scammed: Customers can avoid being scammed by taking a few precautions:
• Never provide social security or personal information to anyone initiating contact with you claiming to be a utility representative or requesting you to send money to another person or entity other than your local utility providers.
• Always ask to see a company photo ID before allowing any utility worker into your home or business.
• When in doubt, check it out. Be skeptical of individuals wearing clothing with old or defaced company logos. If you have any doubts, ask to see a company photo ID.
• Never make payment for services to anyone coming to the door.
• If customers have concerns about the status of their account, they can contact Atlantic City Electric
Atlantic City Electric